University of Connecticut
Minor Protection Coordinator
USP 1 (Confidential-exempt)
This position is charged with serving as a resource to administration, faculty and staff on the University’s best practices and protocols for the protection and safety of minors participating in University sponsored programs and activities. This will be achieved through engaging members of the University community who develop and deliver youth programs and activities; and requiring those members to incorporate the safety and protection of minors in delivering such programs. Reporting to the Director of Compliance, the Minor Protection Coordinator will be responsible for the review and communication of procedures and processes to comply with University policies for the protection of minors, while recommending revisions to current policy based on national trends. Additionally, this position will coordinate and track mandatory training; ensure proper screening of authorized adults; and work with all applicable units of the University to apply standards of conduct designed to safeguard the welfare of minors while participating in University sponsored activities. This position will have responsibilities at the Storrs, Regionals and UConn Health campuses.
- Establish and maintain a youth protection program based upon University policy and established best practices
- Provide information to program administrators on techniques to protect youth participants in University sponsored programs
- Maintain an inventory of all programs and activities involving minors in University sponsored programs and activities
- Work with relevant subject matter experts, create and deliver training, educational resources, presentations and other communications to units sponsoring programs involving minors; monitor compliance with mandatory training requirements and report non-compliance to management
- Coordinate efforts with various departments and offices to promote best practices in administering protective measures for minors engaged in University programs.
- Provide guidance and interpretation of applicable policies; may grant exceptions to policies that must be well documented
- Ensure proper background check completion of all authorized adults prior to engaging in activities with minors
- Provide periodic reports to the Minor Protection Taskforce; work with the Minor Protection Taskforce as well as Human Resources, Labor Relations, General Counsel, Public Safety and other applicable areas, including academic and administrative leadership, to recommend and apply updates to policies and procedures that impact minor protection
- Consult with outside groups utilizing University facilities to ensure policy compliance
- Serve as an advocate for compliance with University standards for the protection of minors
- Promote awareness of the presence of youths at the University, and the nuances in their treatment as minors
- Serve on University committees representing minor protection concerns
- Participate in relevant professional organizations and maintain up-to-date knowledge on matters related to minor protection
- Assists with general ethics and compliance functions, including marketing efforts, training, investigations and monitoring.
- Responsible for special projects which may be ongoing or short-term, necessary to the work of the Compliance Office and require planning and coordination.
- Functions as part of a team to accomplish Compliance Office goals, and works cooperatively with other compliance and University staff as needed to resolve shared issues and concerns.
- Related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree, plus four years related experience
- Experience in youth programming, compliance, or risk management.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all levels of faculty, staff, students and outside entities
- Experience developing and conducting training
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive matters
- Advanced degree
- Experience with establishing a minor protection program
- Experience delivering programs to minors, with an emphasis on assessing program compliance for child protection and safety standards
- Experience in a compliance, government or regulatory setting
Experience in Higher Education